Pelajus Ponder Point

Heretical thoughts from a true believer.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Needed update

I just looked back over the blogs I have written, and realized that I have left a big hole in recent history. As I posted last year, my dad had cancer and I requested prayer. Well, I went to out to Oregon to say goodbye to Dad, as he was dying of cancer. He died May 18th. I got to visit him a few times during his last week, helping him to get out of his chair and into bed. Helping to spell my mom, some evenings.

Nate and I went by train from Virginia to Oregon and stayed at my sister Laurel's house. (I really thank Gary, Laurel's oh-so-patient husband, for putting up with the two of us.)

Son Nate and I left on the afternoon of the 17th, and before we left, we stopped to say a final goodbay to Dad. My sister Laurel and her daughter-in-law Sarah were there, taking care of Dad. Sarah, a nurse, was giving Dad water via a swab (used to keep the mouth moist). When I came in, Laurel said, "Dad, Chuckie's here."

Dad opened his eyes, smiled, and turned his head to look at me. I remember telling him, "Dad, I want to say good-bye. I want to say we love you, and we thank you for all that you have done for us."

I remember his last smile, as he closed his eyes, and Sarah continued to give him water. Laurel told me later that that was the last time Dad was conscious and recognized anyone. He died the next day.

I am glad that I got to thank him for the life he lived for all of us. He loved us, and sacrificed to give us all a good start in life, and to help us in our lives.

And as Forest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home