Pelajus Ponder Point

Heretical thoughts from a true believer.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Apostle's Creed, 1

"I believe"

One of the oldest confessions of the Christian faith begins with these two simple words, "I believe." So simple, yet these words are a profound confession to the world that I believe that which God has said.

I was not there when God formed the sun, moon, earth and stars, but I believe that He did it.

I was not there when God created man from the dust of the ground, but I believe that He did it.

I was not there when God called to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in their night visions, setting them apart as patriarchs of a chosen people, but I believe that He did it.

I was not there when God sent Moses to deliver his enslaved people, bringing them out of Egypt with miracles and wonders, protecting and providing for them in the wilderness, but I believe that He did it.

I was not there when God appeared to Moses at Mt. Sinai, giving him the 10 Commandments and making covenant with His people, but I believe that He did it.

I was not there when God sent Jesus to be the lamb of God, bearing the sins of the world on the cross of Calvary, but I believe that He did it.

"I believe" are two powerful words that separate us from the world, and put us into another kingdom, the kingdom of God. When we say that we believe, we take our place in the vast train of people who, like Abraham, are
"looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God." (Heb. 11:10)

The Gaithers wrote a wonderful song, "Let the Church be the Church," which had the constant call, "God has always had a people." It's true, He has. And everyone of these people were "Believers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home