Pelajus Ponder Point

Heretical thoughts from a true believer.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Love Divine

Well, I'm back again, and I am going to start doing some blogging about Church music and beliefs.

I want to start with an old hymn, Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (#384 in the Methodist Hymnal.)

We sang this hymn this past Sunday, and I found myself very touched by the words of the second verse, and I knew I was truly making this hymn a prayer, which is what it actually is. Here is the second verse:

Breathe, O breathe thy loving Spirit
into every troubled breast!
Let us all in thee inherit;
let us find that second rest.
Take away our bent to sinning;
Alpha and Omega be;
end of faith, as its beginning,
set our hearts at liberty.

I found myself praying, as we were getting ready to come into the season of Lent, along with the hymnwriter, that God would help to remove my bent towards sinning, and set me at liberty to follow Him in obedience.

I agree, Lord Jesus, that you need to be the Alpha and Omega of my life. Help me to follow you in obedience, free from the dross of my own will and life. And help me, by your Holy Spirit, to find that rest in you. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home