Pelajus Ponder Point

Heretical thoughts from a true believer.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

"Stuck on Stupid", part 1

Several weeks ago, some reporters were badgering a Louisiana National Guard general who was involved with the Katrina and Rita relief. After he answered their first questions, he got frustrated with their attempts at playing “Media Gotcha,” and shut them down by telling them, “Don’t get stuck on stupid.” That man instantly became a cult hero and a new catch-phrase was born.

To me, “stuck on stupid” has been an occupational hazard in dealing with my fellow Pentecostal Christian. For years, I have maintained that Pentecostals are the most gullible people on the face of God’s green earth, always willing to fall for the next “great move of God.” No matter how far from the Bible the newest teacher/preacher/evangelist strays, as long as it is intriguing, as long as it feeds our egos, as long as it feeds our greed, my brothers and sisters in the Pentecostal wing of the church will believe, hype, defend and follow.

Want healing? Just send me $1000 for my specially anointed snotrag. Want prestige? Send money and join my Prayer Army, so you can become a Prayer Colonel. (How come there are so many prayer generals and colonels, and never a prayer private?) Afraid of dentists? God will give you gold fillings Want signs and wonders? Watch us shake gold dust out of our hair (yeah, it’s only plastic glitter, but is it specially anointed glitter!) Angels? They were here, because we’ve got their feathers falling out of the rafter.

I could go on and on, but that will give you an idea of what I have been knocking my head against for, lo, these many years. I am finally asking myself, “Why do I care about a people who, seemingly, are perpetually stuck on stupid?

Unfortunately, I am not getting very positive answers, anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home